Transformational Knowledge

Humans are interesting creatures. Abstract concepts can give us influence. Something as simple as a mindset change can completely change a life. On instagram, follow @kupkasana for more deep thoughts and insights


It is commonly said that knowledge is power, but why? In my mind, knowledge is power because we can use it to change our beings on a fundamental level. The word knowledge is derived from the greek word gnosis, meaning a personal experience of knowledge as opposed to an intellectual knowing. There is a spiritual aspect to the word as well. Because the greeks believed in gods and a divine truth, gnosis is the knowledge of the divine underpinning of reality. It can be argued that when one truly knows anything and it resonates on the deep personal level of understanding, it transcends the things of this world, pointing to the unspeakable truth. Hindus think of this unspeakable truth as the Self.


You may find the self through any number of processes. Speaking to my Muay Thai coach, she said something eye opening. She has a present, deeply rooted fire in her eyes. I asked her if she was an incredibly intense, type A person and she literally laughed in my face. It turns out she is laid back, spiritual, and very mindful. I asked her how she came to this place of grounding, and she said you can find it through any avenue you pursuit with dedication. There is a place beyond fatigue, pain, exertion, frustration, experience, understanding, which we can find by putting our hearts into that which we are most passionate about. The process of finding the self through deep knowledge and wisdom is called jnana yoga. Conventionally, jnana yoga is thought of as deep wisdom pertaining to scriptural knowledge. B.K.S Iyengar says that the asana (physical yoga postures), pranayama (breath control), and pratyahara (sense withdrawal) are the jnana yoga section in the 8 limb yoga of patanjali. In my understanding, jnana yoga is deep wisdom in any field. A mathematician who has a deep understanding of the concepts (s)he studies finds their Self in the process. Pythagoras believed he was a god because he found a truth in his equation a^2 + b^2 = c^2.
practicing animal flow
I practice jnana yoga with my passion for movement and self development. In movement, I practice different modalities and study human anatomy so that I may have a deeper conscious awareness of the things I am doing. Yoga taught me how to be conscious of my entire body simultaneously. Now that I have this tool, I can apply it to every sport and activity. My yoga teacher training taught me about the anatomy of the human body. When I apply this anatomical knowledge to my movements, they become more efficient and effective. Through sustained practice, I reach places beyond explanation on a regular basis. I am consumed by bliss and peace, entirely absorbed in the present moment. When I teach meditation or self discovery, I have a game plan to follow. First, I explain some basic concepts of spirituality that pertain to what I want to cover that session. Next, I facilitate an experience of the eternal, which really isn’t that hard so long as the environment is safe and sacred to all members. We usually achieve this by practicing pranayama, deep intentional breaths and full exhales. Pranayama serves to tune our awareness on a cellular and energetic level. Bask in the glow. Next we practice inner body awareness. Jnana yoga comes into play because the more knowledge you have of the philosophical, scientific, metaphysical significance of the body, the easier it is to reach that place of higher consciousness and approach the eternal. We touch Nature in this state and inevitably reach a place far beyond our comprehension. Anything that is beyond the limits of comprehension serves the purpose of God for me. It fills me with a sense of awe so powerful I can do nothing but surrender to its greatness. The futility of struggle becomes all too clear. This is an experience which Ralph Waldo Emerson would describe as so profound it is not possible to remember a life without it.



In order to have knowledge, or know something, it is a two part process. One part is impersonal. This is like someone who only knows theory, but has never applied it. Someone may know everything about rock climbing or meditation, but has never participated in the activity. They do not know. This purely intellectual pursuit is pointless. There is a famous thought experiment called "Mary's Room". A girl named Mary who studies color, lives in a room devoid of color her whole life. She knows everything there is to know about color, but has never seen it. Does she actually know what green is, or does first hand experience play an essential part in knowledge. How can the subtleties of any field be understood by someone who’s deepest experience is 2 dimensional, completely devoid of postures, stillness, and bliss?


References:

complete works of Ralph Waldo Emerson:  http://www.rwe.org

Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, Edwin Bryant translation:   
https://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Sutras-PataƱjali-Translation-Commentary/dp/0865477361

One of my favorite podcasts, Philosophize This, episode on Pre-Socratic philosophy and Pythagoras: http://philosophizethis.org/episode-2-italian-pre-socratic-philosophy/

Mary's Room:   http://www.philosophy-index.com/jackson/marys-room/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection After Meeting Elliott Hulse!

The Mind Body Prescription

Interconnectedness